Current StatusView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Bill Number: 2578 Ratification Number: 195 Act Number 143 Introducing Body: House Subject: Licenses for barber assistants
(A143, R195, H2578)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTIONS 40-7-25, 40-7-120, 40-7-160, AS AMENDED, 40-7-170, AS AMENDED, 40-7-180, AS AMENDED, AND 40-7-300, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO BARBERS AND BARBERING, SO AS TO REDUCE THE TRAINING PERIOD TO QUALIFY AS A BARBER'S ASSISTANT, REQUIRE ADDITIONAL EXAMINATIONS, INCREASE THE EXAMINATION FEE AND THE ANNUAL LICENSE FEE; REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF TIME A REGISTERED APPRENTICE IS REQUIRED TO PRACTICE BARBERING BEFORE HE IS ELIGIBLE TO BECOME A REGISTERED BARBER; INCREASE THE FEE FOR A CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION FOR NONRESIDENTS TO PRACTICE BARBERING IN THIS STATE WHO HAVE PRACTICED BARBERING IN ANOTHER STATE OR COUNTRY; INCREASE THE REGISTRATION AND INSPECTION FEE FOR NEW BARBERSHOPS, INCREASE RENEWALS FOR BARBERSHOP REGISTRATIONS AND THE FEE FOR AN EXPIRED REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE; INCREASE THE FEE FOR STUDENT PERMITS, EXAMINATION TO PRACTICE BARBERING AS AN APPRENTICE, THE APPRENTICE LICENSE FEE, THE EXAMINATION TO BECOME A REGISTERED BARBER, THE ISSUANCE OF CERTIFICATES FOR APPRENTICE BARBERS AND FEES FOR REGISTERED BARBERS WHOSE LICENSES HAVE EXPIRED, PROVIDE THAT THE BOARD MAY NOT INCREASE THE FEES BUT MAY REGULATE THEIR PAYMENT AND PRORATE THEM; AND INCREASE THE FEES FOR REGISTRATION AND INSPECTION OF COLLEGES, EXAMINATION FEES FOR TEACHERS, ANNUAL RENEWAL FEES FOR REGISTRATION OF COLLEGES AND RENEWAL FEES FOR REGISTRATION OF TEACHERS.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Licenses for barber assistants
SECTION 1. Section 40-7-25 of the 1976 Code, added by Section 1 of Act 700 of 1976 is amended to read:
"Section 40-7-25. No person shall give shampoos or manicures in a barbershop unless a license as a barber assistant has been issued to him by the Board of Barber Examiners.
No person shall be issued a license to practice as a barber assistant by the Board unless such person:
(1) Is at least sixteen years of age;
(2) Passes a tuberculosis skin test or chest x-ray and physical examination prescribed by the Board of Health and Environmental Control;
(3) Has been issued a student permit and completed six weeks' training as a barber assistant under the supervision of a registered barber who has qualified to train an assistant barber under the laws governing barber training in this State;
(4) Has been examined by the Board and has been determined to be qualified to practice the giving of shampoos and manicures only.
All barber assistants are required to work under the direct supervision of a licensed registered barber.
The fee to be paid by an applicant for an examination to practice as a barber assistant shall be thirty dollars and such fee shall accompany the application. The annual license fee for a barber assistant shall be fifteen dollars and shall be renewed by June thirtieth of each year.
The Board shall promulgate regulations for the purpose of examination, supervision and licensing of such persons."
Qualifications of barber
SECTION 2. Section 40-7-120 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 40-7-120. Any person to practice barbering as a registered barber shall have worked as a registered apprentice for a period of at least twelve months under the direct supervision of a registered barber and this fact must be proved to the Board by the sworn affidavit of three registered barbers or by such other method of proof as the Board may prescribe and deem necessary. A certificate of registration as a registered barber shall be issued by the Board to and person who is qualified under the provisions of this chapter and meets the following qualifications:
(1) Is qualified under the provisions of Section 40-7-100;
(2) Is at least seventeen years of age;
(3) Passes a satisfactory physical examination as prescribed by the Board and passes a tuberculosis skin test or chest x-ray;
(4) Has practiced as a registered apprentice for a period of twelve months under the immediate personal supervision of a registered barber and, upon proof that the period of twelve months has been completed and that such practice has included a total of one thousand nine hundred twenty hours, the apprentice shall be required by law to take the registered barber examination before the next fiscal year, as no further apprentice license may be issued;
(5) Has passed a satisfactory examination, conducted by the Board, to determine his fitness to practice barbering, such examination to be so prepared and conducted as to determine (a) whether or not the applicant is possessed of the requisite skill in such trade to properly perform all the duties thereof, including the ability of the applicant in his preparation of tools, shaving, haircutting and all the duties and services incident thereto and (b) has sufficient knowledge concerning diseases of the face, skin and scalp to avoid the aggravation and spreading in the practice of such trade."
Board to issue certificate
SECTION 3. The last paragraph of Section 40-7-160 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 433 of 1978, is further amended by striking on the last line "fifty" and inserting "sixty-five". The paragraph when amended shall read:
"Upon receipt of such documents the Board shall issue to him a certificate of registration to practice barbering in this State. A fee of sixty-five dollars shall be submitted with the application."
Barbershops to be registered with board
SECTION 4. Section 40-7-170 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Section 5 of Act 700 of 1976, is further amended to read:
"Section 40-7-170. All barbershops shall be registered with the Board. The registration and inspection fee for all new shops shall be sixty dollars. Applications for registration and inspection of new shops shall be made at least fifteen days prior to opening the shop. No new shop shall be operated until all fees are paid and the shop has passed inspection. Annual renewal fees for shop registration shall be twenty-five dollars and shall be renewed as of the thirtieth day of June of each year. The fee for registration of an expired shop certificate shall be forty dollars."
SECTION 5. Section 40-7-1~0 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Section 6 of Act 700 of 1976, is further amended to read:
"Section 40-7-180. The fee to be paid by an applicant for a student permit to train as a student barber shall be ten dollars and such fee must accompany the application. The fee to be paid by an applicant for an examination to practice barbering as an apprentice shall be thirty dollars and such fee must accompany the application. The annual license fee of an apprentice shall be fifteen dollars. The fee to be paid by an applicant for an examination to determine his fitness to receive a certificate of registration as a registered barber shall be thirty dollars and such fee must accompany the application. The annual license fee of a registered barber shall be twenty-five dollars. All licenses for apprentice and registered barbers shall be renewed as of the thirtieth day of June of each year. The fee for registration of an expired certificate for apprentice barbers shall be twenty-five dollars and the fee for registration of an expired certificate for registered barbers shall be forty dollars. The fees herein set out shall not be increased by the Board but it may regulate the payment of the fee and prorate the annual license fee."
Teachers to be registered
SECTION 6. Section 40-7-300 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Section 8 of Act 700 of 1976, is further amended to read:
"Section 40-7-300. All barber colleges and teachers therein shall be registered with the Board. All teachers are required to have had three years' experience as practicing barbers and shall have successfully passed a teacher's examination as prescribed by the Board. Registration and inspection fees for colleges shall be one hundred dollars. The examination fee for teachers shall be seventy-five dollars. Annual renewal fees for registration of barber colleges shall be sixty-five dollars and annual renewal fees for registration of teachers shall be fifty dollars and shall be renewed as of the first day of July of each year."
SECTION 7. The annual shop registration renewal fee and the annual license fee of a registered barber in effect prior to the effective date of this act shall be increased two dollars annually until they reach the twenty-five dollar annual fees provided in Sections 40-7-170 and 40-7-180 of the 1976 Code, as amended by this act. The annual license fee of an apprentice in effect prior to the effective date of this act shall be increased at the rate of one dollar per year until it reaches the fifteen-dollar fee provided in Section 40-7-180 of the 1976 Code, as amended by this act.
SECTION 8. This act shall take effect upon approval by the Governor.