Current StatusView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Bill Number: 3513 Ratification Number: 395 Act Number 336 Introducing Body: House Subject: Relating to the creation and powers of the Swamp Fox Country Tourism Commission
(A336, R395, H3513)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTIONS 51-13-610 AND 51 13-630, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE CREATION AND POWERS OF THE SWAMP FOX COUNTRY TOURISM COMMISSION, SO AS TO CHANGE THE NAME TO THE PEE DEE TOURISM COMMISSION.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Name changed to Pee Dee Tourism Commission
Section 1. Section 51-13-610 of the 1976 Code is amended by striking on line one "Swamp Fox Country" and inserting "Pee Dee" so that when amended the section shall read:
"Section 51-13-610. There is hereby created the Pee Dee Tourism Commission (Commission) for the purpose of promoting the economic development through a formal program of tourism promotion in the following counties: Florence, Lee, Williamsburg, Marion, Dillon, Marlboro, and Darlington. The Commission shall be composed of four members from each county, to be appointed by the Governor upon the recommendation of the legislative delegation of each county, to serve for terms of four years and until their successors are appointed and qualify. One member from each county shall be a representative of the tourism business community to provide input to the Commission from those persons directly involved in the leisure industry; one member from each county shall be a representative of a chamber of commerce to provide input from the general business community; one member from each county shall be a representative from the county historical society or historical commission or of a related commission to provide input from historical, cultural, environmental, and recreational interests; and one member shall be a member of the public at large. Of those first appointed from each county, the member representing the tourism business shall serve for a term of four years, the member representing the chamber of commerce shall serve for a term of three years, the member representing the historical society, commission, or related commission shall serve for a term of two years and the member representing the public at large shall serve for a term of one year."
Section 2. Section 51-13-630 of the 1976 Code is amended by striking "Swamp Fox Country" on lines one and two of item (1) and inserting "Pee Dee"; by striking "Swamp Fox Country" on line one of item (3) and inserting "the Pee Dee area"; by striking "Swamp Fox Country" on line two of item (4) and inserting "the Pee Dee area"; and by striking "Swamp Fox Country" on lines three and four of item (5) and inserting "the Pee Dee area" so that when amended the section shall read:
"Section 51-13-630. The Commission shall:
(1) Take such action as necessary to establish the Pee Dee Region as a major center of tourism similar to but separate and apart from the Grand Strand, Santee Cooper Country, and historic Charleston regions.
(2) Bring together the abilities and interests of private industry, chambers of commerce, and historical and cultural interests for the purpose of developing a formal program of tourism promotion.
(3) Encourage the promotion of the Pee Dee area through travel agencies such as (a) the South Carolina Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department; (b) visit U. S. A. Program; (c) discover America Program; and (d) any other similar agency or program.
(4) Inventory and identify potential attractions of tourist interest in the Pee Dee area.
(5) Establish guidelines to insure the protection of the interests of the individual citizens and environmental and cultural interests and to assure an ethical, truly representative image of the Pee Dee area to the tourist.
(6) Seek out, apply for, receive, process, and distribute available funds through agencies such as the Regional Planning and Development Councils, the Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, BOR, and the Federal Departments of Commerce or Interior, or any other similar agency or department."
Section 3. This act shall take effect upon the approval by the Governor.