Current Status Bill Number:View additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
892Ratification Number: 353Act Number: 321Introducing Body: SenateSubject: Permit and regulate the taking of gizzard shad, threadfin shad, and herring with dip nets and seines in the Santee River and its tributaries in Game Zone No. 9 and Berkeley County
(A321, R353, S892)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 50-13-735, SO AS TO PERMIT AND REGULATE THE TAKING OF GIZZARD SHAD, THREADFIN SHAD, AND HERRING WITH DIP NETS AND SEINES IN THE SANTEE RIVER AND ITS TRIBUTARIES IN GAME ZONE NO. 9 AND BERKELEY COUNTY.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Taking of gizzard and threadfin shad and herring
SECTION 1. The 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 50-13-735. Gizzard shad, threadfin shad, and herring may be taken with dip nets and seines in the Santee River, including that portion above U. S. Geological Survey Gauging Station No. 1715, with the following specifications and seasons:
(1) The net must be a hand-operated dip net with the bow constructed of wood or metal and the webbing of wire or textile material with a mesh size not greater than one and one-half inches square.
(2) The bow may not exceed six feet in any direction.
(3) The seine shall have a mesh size of not less than one-half inch square nor greater than one inch square.
(4) No seine may exceed one hundred yards in total length nor may any cable, line, or other device used for support of a herring seine extend more than halfway across the stream.
(5) The season for taking herring in the Santee River with the above-described gear is from February fifteenth to April first from sunrise Mondays until sunset Thursdays only."
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon approval by the Governor.