Current Status Bill Number:View additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
1099Ratification Number: 543Act Number: 479Introducing Body: SenateSubject: To provide for an Office of State Climatology
(A479, R543, S1099)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING CHAPTER 25 TO TITLE 49 SO AS TO PROVIDE FOR AN OFFICE OF STATE CLIMATOLOGY.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Office of State Climatology created
SECTION 1. Title 49 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
Office of State Climatology
Section 49-25-10. There is created within the South Carolina Water Resources Commission the South Carolina State Climatology Office.
Section 49-25-20. The commission shall appoint the state climatologist who shall serve as director of the office.
Section 49-25-30. The office has the following powers and duties:
1. to serve as a climatological focal point for state government and its agencies.
2. to provide climatological support to the commission and other state agencies as required, including collection and analysis of climatic data, such as drought, flood, rainfall, storms, and other climatic information that affect water management in South Carolina.
3. to acquire, archive, process, and disseminate, all climatic and weather information which is or may be of value to policy and decision makers in the State.
4. to act as the representative of the State in all climatological and meteorological matters within and outside the State.
5. to prepare, publish, and disseminate regular climatic information for those individuals, agencies, and organizations whose activities are related to the welfare of the State and are affected by climate and weather, and to serve as a source of climatic information for the citizens of South Carolina.
6. to conduct and report on studies of climate and weather phenomena of significant socioeconomic importance to the State.
7. to evaluate the significance of natural, man-made, deliberate, and inadvertent changes or modifications in the climate and weather affecting the State, and to report this information to those agencies and organizations in the State which are likely to be affected by the changes or modifications.
Section 49-25-40. The director may certify copies as being authentic reproductions of weather records held in the State and shall present a report each year to the commission concerning the activities of the climatic program and other information which the commission may consider necessary."
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon approval by the Governor.