Current StatusView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Bill Number: 3036 Ratification Number: 539 Act Number 483 Introducing Body: House Subject: Relating to identification cards
(A483, R539, H3036)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 57-3-910, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO IDENTIFICATION CARDS FOR CERTAIN PERSONS WHO DO NOT DRIVE, SO AS TO DELETE THE REQUIREMENT THAT THE APPLICANT NOT POSSESS A LICENSE TO OPERATE A MOTOR VEHICLE, AND TO PROVIDE THAT SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARDS ISSUED TO THOSE UNDER TWENTY-ONE MUST BE MARKED, STAMPED, OR PRINTED TO READILY INDICATE SUCH AGE; AND TO AMEND THE 1976 CODE BY ADDING SECTION 57-3-911 SO AS TO MAKE IT A MISDEMEANOR OFFENSE FOR ANY PERSON TO ALTER A SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARD SO AS TO PROVIDE FALSE INFORMATION ON THE CARD OR TO SELL OR ISSUE A FICTITIOUS SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARD, TO USE A SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARD NOT ISSUED TO THE PERSON, AN ALTERED SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARD, OR A SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARD CONTAINING FALSE INFORMATION TO DEFRAUD ANOTHER OR VIOLATE THE LAW, OR TO LEND HIS SPECIAL IDENTIFICATION CARD TO ANT PERSON OR KNOWINGLY PERMIT ITS USE BY ANOTHER, AND TO PROVIDE A PENALTY.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Requirement deleted; cards for persons under twenty-one
SECTION 1. Section 57-3-910 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 57-3-910. Upon application by any person ten years of age or older who is a resident of South Carolina, the Motor Vehicle Division of the South Carolina Department of Highways and Public Transportation shall issue a special identification card as long as:
(1) the application is made on a form approved and furnished by the division; and
(2) the applicant presents to the person issuing the identification card a birth certificate or other evidence acceptable to the division of his name and date of birth.
The fee for the issuance of the special identification card is five dollars and the identification card expires five years from the date of issuance. The renewal fee is also five dollars. The department shall retain the fee to defray costs of providing the identification cards.
Special identification cards issued to persons under the age of twenty-one must be marked, stamped, or printed to readily indicate that the person to whom the card is issued is under the age of twenty-one."
Misdemeanor offense, special identification cards; penalty
SECTION 2. The 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 57-3-911. It is unlawful for any person to:
(1) alter a special identification card so as to provide false information on the card or to sell or issue a fictitious special identification card;
(2) use a special identification card not issued to the person, an altered special identification card, or a special identification card containing false information to defraud another or violate the law;
(3) to lend his special identification card to any person or knowingly permit its use by another.
Any person violating the provisions of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than thirty days."
SECTION 3. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.