Current StatusView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Bill Number: 3552 Ratification Number: 652 Act Number 531 Introducing Body: House Subject: Relating to the fees paid to clerks of court
(A531, R652, H3552)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 8-21-310, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE FEES PAID TO CLERKS OF COURT AND REGISTERS OF MESNE CONVEYANCES, SO AS TO INCREASE VARIOUS FEES AND DELETE OBSOLETE LANGUAGE; TO AMEND SECTION 12-49-250, RELATING TO THE FEE FOR RECORDING THE MORTGAGE NOTICE LIST, SO AS TO INCREASE THE FEE FOR EACH MORTGAGEE NOTICE; AND TO AMEND SECTION 15-49-30, RELATING TO THE APPLICABLE FEE FOR BRINGING AN ACTION FOR A CHANGE OF NAME, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT THE APPLICABLE FILING FEE IS THE STANDARD FEE TO FILE CIVIL ACTIONS.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 8-21-310 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 619 of 1988, is further amended to read:
"Section 8-21-310. Except as otherwise expressly provided, the following fees and costs must be collected on a uniform basis in each county by clerks of court and registers of mesne conveyances or county treasurers as may be determined by the governing body of the county:
(1) for recording a deed to or a mortgage on real estate, ten dollars; and an additional one dollar a page for any deed or mortgage containing more than four pages; for entry of a deed or mortgage that covers both real estate and personal property in the indexes for both real and personal property conveyances or mortgages, one dollar additional;
(2) for recording a chattel mortgage, conditional sale contract, lease or contract of sale of personal property, and any other document required to be recorded under the Uniform Commercial Code (Title 36), the fees provided in Title 36;
(3) for recording an instrument which assigns, transfers, or affects a single real estate mortgage or other instrument affecting title to real property or lien for the payment of money, unless it is part of the original instrument when initially filed, six dollars; and if the instrument assigns, transfers, or affects more than one real estate mortgage, instrument, or lien, six dollars for each mortgage, instrument, or lien assigned, transferred, or affected and referred to in the instrument and an additional one dollar for each page for any instrument exceeding one page;
(4) for recording any lease, contract of sale, trust indenture, or other document affecting title or possession of real property not otherwise provided for in this section, ten dollars, and an additional one dollar a page for a document containing more than four pages;
(5) for recording satisfaction on the record of a mortgage of real estate or a chattel mortgage or other recorded lien, and certifying the entry on the original or a copy, five dollars;
(6) for recording separate probates, affidavits, or certificates which are not part of or attached to another document to be recorded, five dollars;
(7) for recording a plat larger than eight and one-half by fourteen inches, ten dollars; for plats of 'legal size' dimensions, or smaller, five dollars;
(8) for recording decree of foreclosure or partition of real property in mortgage book or deed book, the same fee as for recording deed or mortgage of real estate;
(9) for recording any other paper affecting title or possession of real estate or personal property and required by law to be recorded, except judicial records, ten dollars, and an additional one dollar a page for a document containing more than four pages;
(10) for filing power of attorney, trustee qualification, or other appointment, ten dollars, and an additional one dollar a page for a document containing more than four pages;
(11) (a) for filing first complaint or petition, including application for a remedial and prerogative writ and bond on attachment or other bond, in a civil action or proceeding, in a court of record, thirty-five dollars. There is no further fee for filing an amended or supplemental complaint or petition nor for filing any other paper in the same action or proceeding. An original application for post-conviction relief may be filed without fee upon permission of the court to which the application is addressed. There is no further fee for entering and filing any verdict, judgment, final decree, or order of dismissal, and enrolling a judgment thereon, for signing, sealing, and issuance of execution, or for entering satisfaction or partial satisfaction on a judgment;
(b) for filing, recording, and indexing Lis Pendens when not accompanied by summons and complaint, five dollars;
(c) for receiving and enrolling transcripts of judgment from magistrates' courts and federal district courts, five dollars;
(12) no fee may be charged to a defendant or respondent for filing an answer, return, or other papers in any civil action or proceeding, in a court of record;
(13) for taking and filing an order for bail with or without bond, one dollar; with bond when surety must be justified, five dollars;
(14) for taking and filing bond or security costs, one dollar; with bond when surety must be justified, five dollars;
(15) for filing or recording any commission of notary public or other public office, license or permit to practice any profession or trade, notice of formation or dissolution of any partnership, two dollars;
(16) for filing the charter of any public or private corporation or association required by law to be recorded, ten dollars, and an additional one dollar a page for any such document containing more than four pages;
(17) for issuing an official certificate under seal of court not otherwise specified in this section, one dollar;
(18) for holding a hearing for condemnation proceedings, twenty-five dollars a day;
(19) for filing notice of discharge in bankruptcy, ten dollars;
(20) for filing and enrolling and satisfaction of South Carolina and United States Government tax liens:
(a) for filing and enrolling and satisfying executions or warrants for distraint for the South Carolina Employment Security Commission, the South Carolina Tax Commission, or any other state agency, where costs of the executions or warrants for distraint are chargeable to the persons against whom such executions or warrants for distraint are issued, five dollars;
(b) for filing and enrolling and satisfying any tax lien of any agency of the United States Government, where the costs of the executions are chargeable to the persons against whom such executions are issued, five dollars.
The clerk shall mark satisfied upon receipt of the fees provided in this item any tax lien or warrant for distraint issued by any agency of this State or of the United States upon receipt of a certificate duly signed by an authorized officer of any agency of this State or the United States to the effect that the execution or warrant for distraint has been paid and satisfied."
SECTION 2. Section 12-49-250 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 12-49-250. The list must be promptly entered of record by the clerk in a book he keeps in his office for that purpose, for a fee of two dollars for each mortgage listed and entered, except that when ten or more mortgages are listed together on one list the fee is one dollar each for the number in excess of ten. Within ten days after its filing the clerk shall transmit the list to the sheriff and the sheriff shall file it in his office as a record and shall enter on it the date he received it."
Fee for filing an action for name change
SECTION 3. Section 15-49-30 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 15-49-30. The filing fee provided in Section 8-21-310(11)(a) applies with respect to an action for change of name."
SECTION 4. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Approved the 4th day of June, 1990.