Current Status Introducing Body:
HouseBill Number: 3600Ratification Number: 33Act Number: 193Primary Sponsor: SheheenType of Legislation: JRSubject: Kershaw County school districtsDate Bill Passed both Bodies: Mar 13, 1991Computer Document Number: NO5/7288.BDGovernor's Action: SDate of Governor's Action: Mar 22, 1991Introduced Date: Feb 26, 1991Last History Body: ------Last History Date: Mar 22, 1991Last History Type: Act No. 193Scope of Legislation: LocalAll Sponsors: Sheheen Baxley BurchType of Legislation: Joint Resolution
Bill Body Date Action Description CMN ---- ------ ------------ ------------------------------ --- 3600 ------ Mar 22, 1991 Act No. 193 3600 ------ Mar 22, 1991 Signed by Governor 3600 ------ Mar 19, 1991 Ratified R 33 3600 Senate Mar 13, 1991 Read third time, enrolled for ratification 3600 Senate Mar 12, 1991 Read second time 3600 Senate Feb 28, 1991 Placed on Local and Uncontested Calendar without reference 3600 Senate Feb 28, 1991 Introduced, read first time 3600 House Feb 28, 1991 Read third time, sent to Senate 3600 House Feb 27, 1991 Read second time 3600 House Feb 26, 1991 Introduced, read first time, placed on Calendar without referenceView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
A JOINT RESOLUTION TO CREATE A COMMITTEE TO STUDY THE FORMATION OF SINGLE-MEMBER SCHOOL DISTRICTS IN KERSHAW COUNTY.
Whereas, the members of the Kershaw County School Board of Trustees currently are elected from Kershaw County at large; and
Whereas, litigation has begun regarding this manner of representation on the board; and
Whereas, public input is necessary to determine the opinion of Kershaw County's citizens as to the formation of single-member school districts. Now, therefore,
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Committee to study single-member school districts
SECTION 1. A committee is created to study and submit a plan for the formation of single-member school districts in Kershaw County. It is composed of seven members as follows:
(1) two members of the Kershaw County School board elected by the board;
(2) one member of the Kershaw County Council appointed by its chairman;
(3) one member of the Kershaw County Chamber of Commerce appointed by its president;
(4) one member appointed by a majority of the Kershaw County legislative delegation;
(5) two members of the Kershaw County Black Caucus appointed by its chairman.
SECTION 2. The committee shall:
(1) organize and elect a chairman at its first meeting;
(2) gather and assimilate information in devising a single-member district plan;
(3) conduct public hearings if necessary;
(4) develop and submit a plan before May 2, 1991, to the Kershaw County legislative delegation with the committee's findings and recommendations. The committee shall use the decennial census figures released before April 2, 1991, when formulating the plan.
SECTION 3. Upon the submission of its report the committee is dissolved.
SECTION 4. This joint resolution takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
In the Senate House March 19, 1991.
Nick A. Theodore,
President of the Senate
Robert J. Sheheen,
Speaker of the House of
Approved the 22nd day of March, 1991.
Carroll A. Campbell, Jr.,
Printer's Date -- December 10, 1997 -- L.