Current Status Introducing Body:
SenateBill Number: 1004Primary Sponsor: LeventisType of Legislation: CRSubject: Beulah African Mehodist Episcopal ChurchDate Bill Passed both Bodies: 19940113Computer Document Number: DKA/3015AL.94Introduced Date: 19940111Last History Body: SenateLast History Date: 19940113Last History Type: Received from HouseScope of Legislation: StatewideAll Sponsors: LeventisType of Legislation: Concurrent Resolution
Bill Body Date Action Description CMN Leg Involved ____ ______ ____________ ______________________________ ___ ____________ 1004 Senate 19940113 Received from House 1004 House 19940112 Introduced, adopted, returned with concurrence 1004 Senate 19940111 Introduced, adopted, sent to HouseView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
TO CONGRATULATE THE CONGREGATION OF BEULAH AFRICAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH ON ITS ACCOMPLISHMENTS AND EXTENDED BEST WISHES UPON ITS EXISTENCE OVER THE PAST ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE YEARS (CENTUM VIGINTI QUINQUE).
Whereas, a group of Christian believing brothers, namely July Britton, Pertia Spears, Beulah Wash White, and John Mack met shortly after the Civil War to plan and organize for a legal charter for the original Rocky Bluff African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1868; and
Whereas, the location of the first church was approximately one mile from its present site to the Sumter side of the church; and
Whereas, the church was born out of love, unity, peace, and understanding that it would be a soul winning and tithing church; and
Whereas, the birth of a new church brought much hope and promise to the Christian strugglers who were in search of a spiritual vision; and
Whereas, in 1923, the church was rebuilt at the present site, after obtaining property from Joe Davis Chandler; and
Whereas, the church was given the name Beulah in honor of one of the founding brothers, Beulah Wash White; and
Whereas, with the spirit of good will and the realization that whatever materialistic possessions have been acquired, all were made possible through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ; and
Whereas, as the church grew over the years since 1923, the need to rebuild was obvious; and
Whereas, the present church was built in 1968; and
Whereas, the church family continued to grow, and in 1977, the church sanctuary was enlarged and an educational building was added; and
Whereas, the church was severely damaged by Hurricane Hugo in 1989 which required major renovations; and
Whereas, in 1992, the renovation was done and the multi-purpose drive-through was constructed; and
Whereas, many dreams and plans are in the making for the future; and
Whereas, the Beulah African Methodist Episcopal Church has made many transformations spiritually and physically. Now, therefore,
Be it resolved by the Senate, the House of Representatives concurring:
That the members of the General Assembly congratulate Beulah African Methodist Episcopal Church for its beacon of light as Christian strugglers, in exemplification of the highest spiritual, moral, and ethical standards and for the hard work, dedication, unity, and many accomplishments on its one hundred twenty-five years (centum viginti quinque).
Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be forwarded to the Reverend Henry J. Murray, Jr., Pastor, and Dr. Elijah S. McCants, ranking officer as Chairman Pro Tempore of the Steward Board for church record.