Current Status Introducing Body:
HouseBill Number: 3676Ratification Number: 55Act Number: 26Primary Sponsor: SheheenType of Legislation: GBSubject: Drivers license, renewalDate Bill Passed both Bodies: 19930323Computer Document Number: DKA/4357AL.93Governor's Action: SDate of Governor's Action: 19930422Introduced Date: 19930310Date of Last Amendment: 19930318Last History Body: ------Last History Date: 19930422Last History Type: Act No. 26Scope of Legislation: StatewideAll Sponsors: SheheenType of Legislation: General Bill
Bill Body Date Action Description CMN Leg Involved ---- ------ ------------ ------------------------------ --- ------------ 3676 ------ 19930422 Act No. 26 3676 ------ 19930422 Signed by Governor 3676 ------ 19930420 Ratified R 55 3676 House 19930323 Concurred in Senate amendment, enrolled for ratification 3676 Senate 19930318 Amended, read third time, returned to House with amendments 3676 Senate 19930317 Read second time, notice of general amendments 3676 Senate 19930316 Introduced, read first time, placed on Calendar without reference 3676 House 19930315 Read third time, sent to Senate 3676 House 19930311 Read second time 3676 House 19930310 Introduced, read first time, placed on Calendar without referenceView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
(A26, R55, H3676)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-40, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO PERSONS WHO MUST NOT BE LICENSED, SO AS TO PROHIBIT RENEWAL OF DRIVERS' LICENSES TO CERTAIN PERSONS, AND TO ADD TO THE LIST OF PROHIBITIONS PERSONS WHOSE LICENSES ARE SUSPENDED OR REVOKED, PERSONS WHO ARE NOT RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES AND TO PROVIDE EXCEPTIONS, AND TO PROVIDE THAT ISSUANCE OF A LICENSE IS NOT EVIDENCE OF RESIDENCY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Prohibitions on issuance of driver's license
SECTION 1. Section 56-1-40 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 56-1-40. The department shall not issue a motor vehicle driver's license to or renew the driver's license of a person:
(1) who is under sixteen years of age, except that the department may issue a beginner's or instruction permit as provided in Sections 56-1-50 and 56-1-60 to a person who is at least fifteen years of age and except that the department may issue a special restricted driver's license to a person who is at least fifteen years old and less than sixteen years as provided in Section 56-1-180;
(2) whose driver's license currently is suspended or revoked, except as otherwise provided for in this article;
(3) who is an habitual user of alcohol or any other drug to a degree which renders him incapable of safely driving a motor vehicle;
(4) who previously has been adjudged to be afflicted with or suffering from a mental disability or mental disease and who has not at the time of application been restored to competency by methods provided by law;
(5) who is required by this article to take an examination, unless the person has successfully passed the examination;
(6) who is required under the laws of this State to deposit proof of financial responsibility and who has not deposited the proof;
(7) who is not a resident of the United States, except for students from other countries who are present in the United States on a student visa or an individual working in South Carolina on a work visa who may be issued a license to be renewed annually unless their country has entered into a reciprocal agreement with South Carolina governing drivers' licenses, however the granting of such a license shall not be used as evidence of meeting the residency requirements of Section 59-112-20;
(8) who may not be issued a license as otherwise provided by the laws of this State."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Approved the 22nd day of April, 1993.