Current Status Introducing Body:
SenateBill Number: 534Primary Sponsor: MacaulayCommittee Number: 21Type of Legislation: GBSubject: Drivers license, renewalResiding Body: HouseCurrent Committee: Education and Public WorksComputer Document Number: DKA/4414AL.93Introduced Date: 19930310Last History Body: HouseLast History Date: 19930316Last History Type: Introduced, read first time, referred to CommitteeScope of Legislation: StatewideAll Sponsors: MacaulayType of Legislation: General Bill
Bill Body Date Action Description CMN Leg Involved ____ ______ ____________ ______________________________ ___ ____________ 534 House 19930316 Introduced, read first time, 21 referred to Committee 534 Senate 19930312 Read third time, sent to House 534 Senate 19930311 Read second time, unanimous consent for third reading on Friday, March 12, 1993 534 Senate 19930310 Introduced, read first time, placed on Calendar without referenceView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
March 10, 1993
S. Printed 3/10/93--S.
Read the first time March 10, 1993.
TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-40, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO PERSONS WHO MUST NOT BE LICENSED, SO AS TO PROHIBIT RENEWAL OF DRIVER'S LICENSES, TO ADD TO THE LIST OF PROHIBITIONS PERSONS WHOSE LICENSES ARE SUSPENDED OR REVOKED, PERSONS WHO ARE NOT RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES, AND PERSONS WITH PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DISABILITIES WHO THE DEPARTMENT, WITH GOOD CAUSE, BELIEVES ARE NOT CAPABLE OF SAFELY OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 56-1-40 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 56-1-40. The department shall not issue any a motor vehicle driver's license under this article to or renew the driver's license of a person:
(1) Any person who is under sixteen years of age, except that the Department may issue a beginner's or instruction permit as provided in Sections 56-1-50 and 56-1-60 to any a person who is at least fifteen years of age and except that the department may issue a special restricted driver's license to any a person who is at least fifteen years old and less than sixteen years as provided in Section 56-1-180;
(2) Any person whose driver's license has been currently is suspended during such suspension or any person whose license has been revoked, except as otherwise provided for in this article either in this State or another jurisdiction or who has been convicted of a violation in this State or another jurisdiction which would authorize or require the suspension or revocation of a motor vehicle driver's license;
(3) Any person who is an habitual drunkard, an habitual user of narcotic drugs alcohol or an habitual user of any other drug to a degree which renders him incapable of safely driving a motor vehicle;
(4) Any person who has previously has been adjudged to be afflicted with or suffering from any a mental disability or mental disease and who has not at the time of application been restored to competency by methods provided by law;
(5) Any person who is required by this article to take an examination, unless such the person shall have has successfully passed such the examination;
(6) Any person who is required under the laws of this State to deposit proof of financial responsibility and who has not deposited such the proof; or
(7) who is not a resident of the United States, except for students from other countries who are present in the United States on a student visa unless their country has entered into a reciprocal agreement with South Carolina governing driver's licenses;
(8) whom the department has good cause to believe would not be capable, by reason of a physical or mental disability, of safely driving a motor vehicle; or
(9) Any other person who may not be issued a license as otherwise provided by the laws of this State."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.