Current Status Bill Number:
3984Ratification Number: 180Act Number: 121Type of Legislation: General Bill GBIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 19950411Primary Sponsor: CottyAll Sponsors: Cotty, Sheheen, Baxley, Boan and WilkesDrafted Document Number: PFM\7376BDW.95Date Bill Passed both Bodies: 19950531Governor's Action: U Became law without signature of GovernorDate of Governor's Action: 19950613Subject: Motorboats on Lake Wateree
Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ _______________________________________ _______ ____________ ------ 19950613 Act No. A121 ------ 19950613 Unsigned, became law without signature of Governor ------ 19950606 Ratified R180 Senate 19950531 Read third time, enrolled for ratification Senate 19950530 Read second time, notice of general amendments Senate 19950518 Committee report: Favorable 07 SFGF Senate 19950425 Introduced, read first time, 07 SFGF referred to Committee House 19950420 Read third time, sent to Senate House 19950419 Read second time House 19950411 Introduced, read first time, placed on Calendar without referenceView additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
(A121, R180, H3984)
AN ACT TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING ARTICLE 12 TO CHAPTER 25, TITLE 50, SO AS TO PROVIDE RESTRICTIONS FOR MOTORBOATS ON LAKE WATEREE AND PROVIDE PENALTIES.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Restrictions for motorboats on Lake Wateree
SECTION 1. Chapter 25, Title 50, of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
Section 50-25-1210. A motorboat operating upon waters on Lake Wateree shall comply with the following noise control requirements:
(1) Motorboats with inboard-outboard propulsion machinery shall exhaust through the propeller.
(2) Inboard motorboats with `V'-drives-jets or propeller propulsion machinery with exhaust through the transom must be water-cooled with a steady stream of water or exhaust underwater while under way or exhaust through an automotive sealed, baffle-type muffler for each exhaust stack, with exhaust openings not to exceed two inches in diameter. Boats with original propulsion machinery made before 1970 are exempt from the requirements of this item.
(3) Motorboats and their propulsion machinery which exhaust over the transom shall exhaust through an automotive sealed, baffle-type muffler for each exhaust stack, with exhaust openings not to exceed two inches in diameter. Glass pack mufflers, resonators, and above-water open exhausts are prohibited for the motorboats. Baffle inserts are prohibited on all inboard boats.
(4) Motorboats with outboard propulsion machinery shall exhaust underwater at all times unless designed or modified to exhaust above water and comply with the provisions of item (3).
Section 50-25-1220. The motorboats competing in a regatta, boat race, marine parade, tournament, or exhibition approved as provided in Section 50-21-1210 are exempted from the provisions of this article. Exceptions also may be granted during designated hours for pretrial runs and for trial runs for speed records immediately following the event.
Section 50-25-1230. The operator of a motorboat who violates any of the provisions of this article is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined for a:
(1) first offense not less than fifty nor more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days;
(2) second offense not less than one hundred nor more than two hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than thirty days;
(3) third or subsequent offense not less than two hundred nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than six months, or both."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Became law without the signature of the Governor -- 6/13/95.