Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Current Status Bill Number:View additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
4894Type of Legislation: General Bill GBIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 20000411Primary Sponsor: McGeeAll Sponsors: McGee, Breeland and McKayDrafted Document Number: l:\council\bills\skb\18314som00.docResiding Body: HouseCurrent Committee: Judiciary Committee 25 HJSubject: Patriotism Week, week which includes eleventh day of November designated as; Resolutions, HolidaysHistory Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ ______________________________________ _______ ____________ House 20000411 Introduced, read first time, 25 HJ referred to Committee Versions of This Bill
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 53-3-150, SO AS TO PROVIDE FOR PATRIOTISM WEEK.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Chapter 3, Title 53 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 53-3-150. (A) The week which includes the eleventh day of November in each year is designated as 'Patriotism Week' in South Carolina. The Governor shall issue appropriate proclamations to commemorate 'Patriotism Week' which must be observed throughout South Carolina with appropriate ceremonies and events to:
(1) recognize the important contributions made by our military veterans to American society;
(2) honor the supreme sacrifices made by our veterans in defending the freedoms and protections afforded by the United States Constitution; and
(3) memorialize those men and women who lost their lives in military service.
(B) The State Superintendent of Education shall encourage school districts to:
(1) observe 'Patriotism Week' by holding appropriate ceremonies, events, and assemblies on school grounds; and
(2) develop appropriate curricula that focus on the purposes of 'Patriotism Week'.
(C) Commissioners and directors of state agencies and governing bodies of political subdivisions shall encourage participation by public employees in ceremonies and events during 'Patriotism Week'."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Wednesday, December 9, 2009 at 9:31 A.M.