Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
POLLED OUT OF COMMITTEE
January 18, 2000
Introduced by Reps. Beck, Wilder, W. McLeod, J. Brown, R. Smith and Mason
S. Printed 1/18/00--S. [SEC 1/26/00 5:41 PM]
Read the first time March 11, 1999.
To whom was referred a Bill (H. 3335), to amend Section 56-1-80, as amended, Code of Laws of South Carolina, 1976, relating to applications for driver's licenses and permits, so as to, etc., respectfully
Has polled the Bill out majority favorable.
TO AMEND SECTION 56-1-80, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO APPLICATIONS FOR DRIVER'S LICENSES AND PERMITS, SO AS TO REQUIRE THE APPLICATION TO PROVIDE FOR DISCLOSURE OF A PERMANENT MEDICAL CONDITION AND ORGAN AND TISSUE DONOR STATUS, BOTH OF WHICH MUST BE INDICATED BY SYMBOLS ON THE LICENSE AND CONTAINED IN THE DRIVER'S RECORD; TO FURTHER PROVIDE THAT THIS INFORMATION MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST TO LAW ENFORCEMENT AND EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES AND HOSPITAL PERSONNEL AND THAT DONOR STATUS INFORMATION MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE TO THE SOUTH CAROLINA DONOR REFERRAL NETWORK.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 56-1-80 of the 1976 Code, as last amended by Act 459 of 1996, is further amended to read:
"Section 56-1-80. (A) Every application for a driver's license or permit must:
(1) be made upon the form furnished by the department;
(2) be accompanied by the proper fee and acceptable proof of date and place of birth;
(3) contain the full name, date of birth, sex, race, and residence address of the applicant and briefly describe the applicant;
(4) state whether the applicant has been licensed as an operator or chauffeur and, if so, when and by what state or country;
(5) state whether a license or permit has been suspended or revoked or whether an application has been refused and, if so, the date of and reason for the suspension, revocation, or refusal
(6) allow an applicant voluntarily to disclose a permanent medical condition which must be indicated by a symbol designated by the department on the driver's license and contained in the driver's record;
(7) allow an applicant voluntarily to disclose that he is an organ and tissue donor which must be indicated by a symbol designated by the department on the driver's license and contained in the driver's record.
(B) The information contained on a driver's license and in the driver's department records pertaining to a person's permanent medical condition, as provided for in item (A)(6), must be made available, upon request, to law enforcement and emergency medical services and hospital personnel; and the information and records pertaining to a person's organ and tissue donor status, as provided for in item (A)(7), must be made available, upon request, to law enforcement, emergency medical services and hospital personnel, and the South Carolina Donor Referral Network, as provided for in Section 44-43-910.
(C) Whenever an application is received from a person previously licensed or permitted in another state, the Department of Public Safety
, may request a copy of the applicant's record from the other state. When received, the record becomes a part of the driver's record in this State with the same effect as though entered on the operator's record in this State in the original instance. Every person who obtains a driver's license or permit for the first time in South Carolina and every person who renews his driver's license or permit in South Carolina must be furnished a written request form for completion and verification of liability insurance coverage.
The completed and verified form or an affidavit prepared by the department that neither he, nor a resident relative, owns a motor vehicle subject to the provisions of this chapter, must be completed and delivered to the department at the time the license or permit is issued or renewed."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Friday, June 26, 2009 at 2:58 P.M.