Scroll to History Page
Scroll to Previous Versions Links List
Scroll to Full Text
Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Current Status Bill Number:View additional legislative information at the LPITS web site.
3707Type of Legislation: General Bill GBIntroducing Body: HouseIntroduced Date: 20010314Primary Sponsor: J. YoungAll Sponsors: J. Young, G.M. Smith, Harvin, Kennedy and WeeksDrafted Document Number: l:\council\bills\swb\5237djc01.docCompanion Bill Number: 463Residing Body: HouseCurrent Committee: Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Com 20 HANRSubject: Shad, herring, etc.; taking of in portion of Santee River provided, no open season in part of; Fish and GameHistory Body Date Action Description Com Leg Involved ______ ________ ______________________________________ _______ ____________ ------ 20010315 Companion Bill No. 463 House 20010314 Introduced, read first time, 20 HANR referred to Committee Versions of This Bill
TO AMEND SECTION 50-5-1505, AS AMENDED, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO SEASONS, TIMES, METHODS, EQUIPMENT, SIZE AND TAKE LIMITS FOR SHAD, HERRING, AND STURGEON IN THE SANTEE RIVER SO AS TO PROVIDE FOR SEASONS, TIMES, METHODS, EQUIPMENT, SIZE AND TAKE LIMITS IN THAT PORTION OF THE SANTEE RIVER BELOW THE CABLE AND BUOYS MARKING THE SEAWARD BOUNDARY OF THE WILSON DAM SANCTUARY DESIGNATED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES SEAWARD TO WILSON DAM LANDING AND FURTHER PROVIDE FOR NO OPEN SEASON IN THE SANTEE RIVER SEAWARD OF WILSON BOAT LANDING.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 50-5-1505(2)(b) of the 1976 Code, as added by Act 245 of 2000, is amended to read:
"(b) Santee River below Wilson Dam including the Rediversion Canal below St. Stephen Dam, North Santee River and Bay, South Santee River, and all tributaries and distributaries thereto as follows:
( i) Santee River below the cable and buoys marking the seaward boundary of the Wilson Dam sanctuary designated by the department seaward to Wilson Dam Boat Landing:
(1) Season: February 15 through April 30;
(2) Times: Sunrise Monday to sunset Thursday, as locally published;
(3) Methods and equipment: Cast net and seine net. No seine may exceed one hundred yards in total length. The mesh of the seine shall not be less than one-half inch square. All fish except those used for live bait must be containerized in one bushel units before landing.
(4) Size and take limits: Ten U.S. bushels per boat per day including lawful incidental catch; harvest may not be transferred between boats. No additional boat may be used to increase a person's daily take.
( i)( ii) Rediversion Canal:
(1) Season: March 1 through April 30;
(2) Times: 7:00 p.m. to 12:00 p.m. EST or 8:00 p.m. to 12:00 p.m. DST;
(3) Methods and equipment: Circular drop nets with a maximum six-foot diameter, lift nets, and cast nets allowed; other equipment prohibited; nets must be operated by hand; trawling prohibited; culling prohibited; all fish except those used for live bait must be containerized in units of one hundred pounds maximum weight before landing; all fishing is prohibited within one hundred feet of the fish lift exit channel at St. Stevens Powerhouse, except with hook and line from March 1 through April 15;
(4) Size and take limits: Ten U.S. bushels per boat per day including lawful incidental catch; harvest may not be transferred between boats.
( ii)(iii) Santee system excluding Rediversion Canal: Santee River seaward of Wilson Boat Landing:
Season: No open season. "
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Tuesday, December 8, 2009 at 11:29 A.M.