Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Senator Patterson
Document Path: l:\council\bills\bbm\10400sj04.doc
Introduced in the Senate on June 1, 2004
Introduced in the House on June 2, 2004
Adopted by the General Assembly on June 2, 2004
Summary: St. Matthews First Baptist Church
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6/1/2004 Senate Introduced, adopted, returned with concurrence SJ-12 6/2/2004 House Introduced, adopted, returned with concurrence HJ-2
View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
TO RECOGNIZE AND CONGRATULATE ST. MATTHEWS FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH IN WINNSBORO ON THE OCCASION OF ITS 125TH ANNIVERSARY, AND TO EXTEND BEST WISHES TO THE CHURCH AS IT CONTINUES TO SPREAD THE WORD OF GOD.
Whereas, St. Matthews First Baptist Church was formed in 1879, when Laura C. Gibson sold one and one-fourth acres of land, located in Fairfield County, for seven hundred dollars to Samuel Frazier, Frank Kennedy, and Frank Mack to build this outstanding church; and
Whereas, in 1885, an additional one-fourth of an acre of land was sold and conveyed by William P. Gibson to Trustees Robert Cook, John Mack, and Samuel Frazier, and the remaining land was conveyed on November 21, 1906; and
Whereas, during its first years of existence, the St. Matthews First Baptist Church was an old board shelter with a pot belly stove used for heating the church, and kerosene lanterns were hanging from the trees outside and from the beams inside to provide light for the services and fellowship; and
Whereas, regular church services were conducted on the second and fourth Sundays of each month, and communion was served quarterly, carried by the Deacons to the members' homes if they were unable to attend church services; and
Whereas, a revival meeting was usually held in September, beginning on the fourth Sunday and continuing through the following Friday night, followed by the baptismal at a baptismal pool that was dug and filled for the use of baptisms; and
Whereas, throughout the past one hundred twenty-five years, St. Matthews First Baptist Church has had almost twenty-five pastors, including their current pastor, Reverend Darrel S. President; and
Whereas, under the leadership of Reverend William M. Green, the church was rebuilt to the Glory of God in 1958; and
Whereas, the parishioners' devotion and love for St. Matthews First Baptist Church has continued to grow throughout the past one hundred twenty-five years, and the General Assembly wishes the best for the church in the years to come. Now, therefore,
Be it resolved by the Senate, the House of Representatives concurring:
That the members of the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina, by this resolution, recognize and congratulate St. Matthews First Baptist Church in Winnsboro on the occasion of its 125th Anniversary and extend best wishes to the church as it continues to spread the word of God.
Be it further resolved that a copy of this resolution be forwarded to the members of the St. Matthews First Baptist Church of Winnsboro.
This web page was last updated on Monday, December 7, 2009 at 10:23 A.M.