Download This Version in Microsoft Word format
TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 61-6-1640 SO AS TO PROVIDE AN ESTABLISHMENT LICENSED TO SERVE MINIBOTTLES IS AUTHORIZED TO CONDUCT SAMPLINGS OF WINES IN EXCESS OF SIXTEEN PERCENT ALCOHOL, CORDIALS, AND DISTILLED SPIRITS, IF THE SAMPLING IS CONDUCTED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Subarticle 1, Article 5, Chapter 6, Title 61 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:
"Section 61-6-1640. Notwithstanding the provisions of this subarticle or any other provision of law, an establishment licensed to serve minibottles is authorized to conduct samplings of wines in excess of sixteen percent alcohol, cordials, and distilled spirits, if the sampling is conducted as follows:
(1) samples may not be offered from more than four products at any one time;
(2) the sampling must be held in the bar area of a licensed establishment and all open bottles must be visible at all times. All open bottles must be removed at the conclusion of the tasting;
(3) samples must be less than one-half ounce for each product sampled;
(4) a person may not be served more than one sample of each product;
(5) sampling may not be offered for more than four hours;
(6) at least five days before the sampling, a letter detailing the specific date and hours of the sampling must be mailed first class to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division;
(7) a sample may not be offered to, or allowed to be consumed by, an intoxicated person or a person under the age of twenty-one years;
(8) a licensed establishment may not offer more than one sampling each day; and
(9) the sampling must be conducted by the manufacturer or wholesaler or an agent of the manufacturer or wholesaler."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Thursday, June 25, 2009 at 9:45 A.M.