Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
Indicates Matter Stricken
Indicates New Matter
Sponsors: Reps. Bingham, Allison and Anthony
Document Path: l:\council\bills\dka\3953sd12.docx
Introduced in the House on February 9, 2012
Currently residing in the House Committee on Education and Public Works
Summary: Special school of science and mathematics
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 2/9/2012 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 17) 2/9/2012 House Referred to Committee on Education and Public Works (House Journal-page 17)
View the latest legislative information at the LPITS web site
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
TO AMEND SECTION 59-48-20, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, RELATING TO THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE SPECIAL SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS, SO AS TO REVISE THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE BOARD AND TO DELETE PROVISIONS WHICH DO NOT PERMIT CERTAIN MEMBERS TO BE VOTING MEMBERS.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
SECTION 1. Section 59-48-20 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:
"Section 59-48-20. (A) The school is under the management and control of a board of trustees consisting of
eleven these members, as follows:
(1) one member from each congressional district appointed by the Governor;
(2) two members appointed from this State at large by the Governor;
the Chairman of the Joint Legislative Committee to Study the State's Public Education System, ex officio, or his designee;
(4) the State Superintendent of Education, ex officio, or his designee;
(5)(4) the Executive Director of the Commission on Higher Education, ex officio, or his designee.
Members appointed by the Governor shall serve for four years and until their successors are appointed and qualify, except that of those first appointed, the members representing the First, Second, and Third Congressional Districts and one at-large member shall serve for two years and until their successors are appointed and qualify. Members shall receive mileage, subsistence, and per diem allowed by law for members of state boards, committees, and commissions.
In his appointments, the Governor shall seek to obtain the best qualified persons from the business, industrial, and educational communities, including mathematicians and scientists.
The board of trustees shall explore use of the facilities of Coker College for the school's campus.
(B) The Board of Trustees of the Special School of Science and Mathematics shall also include the following six additional members:
(1) the president of the South Carolina Governor's School of Science and Mathematics Foundation, Inc., to serve ex officio;
(2) the provost or vice president for academic affairs from each of the following higher education research institutions to serve ex officio:
(a) Clemson University;
(b) the University of South Carolina;
(c) the Medical University of South Carolina
. The provost or vice president for academic affairs of each of these three institutions shall serve as nonvoting members of the board;
(3) two members appointed from the State at large by the Governor to serve for terms of four years each and until their successors are appointed and qualify. Vacancies shall be filled by appointment in the manner of original appointment for the remainder of the unexpired term."
SECTION 2. This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
This web page was last updated on Tuesday, December 10, 2013 at 10:29 A.M.