Download This Bill in Microsoft Word format
A116, R15, H3071
Sponsors: Reps. Ott, Ligon, Taylor, Bryant, Cobb-Hunter, Haddon, Forrest and Thayer
Document Path: l:\council\bills\jn\3256cz21.docx
Introduced in the House on January 12, 2021
Introduced in the Senate on February 3, 2021
Last Amended on March 23, 2021
Passed by the General Assembly on April 6, 2021
Governor's Action: April 12, 2021, Signed
Summary: Equine Industry Support Measures Study Committee, created
HISTORY OF LEGISLATIVE ACTIONS
Date Body Action Description with journal page number ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 12/9/2020 House Prefiled 12/9/2020 House Referred to Committee on Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs 1/12/2021 House Introduced and read first time (House Journal-page 59) 1/12/2021 House Referred to Committee on Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs (House Journal-page 59) 1/28/2021 House Committee report: Favorable with amendment Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs (House Journal-page 8) 2/2/2021 House Amended 2/2/2021 House Read second time (House Journal-page 40) 2/2/2021 House Roll call Yeas-106 Nays-5 (House Journal-page 40) 2/3/2021 House Read third time and sent to Senate (House Journal-page 14) 2/3/2021 Senate Introduced and read first time (Senate Journal-page 35) 2/3/2021 Senate Referred to Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources (Senate Journal-page 35) 3/16/2021 Senate Committee report: Favorable with amendment Agriculture and Natural Resources (Senate Journal-page 8) 3/23/2021 Senate Committee Amendment Adopted (Senate Journal-page 19) 3/23/2021 Senate Read second time (Senate Journal-page 19) 3/23/2021 Senate Roll call Ayes-44 Nays-0 (Senate Journal-page 19) 3/24/2021 Scrivener's error corrected 3/24/2021 Senate Read third time and returned to House with amendments (Senate Journal-page 14) 4/6/2021 House Concurred in Senate amendment and enrolled (House Journal-page 98) 4/6/2021 House Roll call Yeas-104 Nays-3 (House Journal-page 99) 4/8/2021 Ratified R 15 4/12/2021 Signed By Governor 4/15/2021 Effective date 04/12/21 7/2/2021 Act No. 116
View the latest legislative information at the website
VERSIONS OF THIS BILL
(A116, R15, H3071)
A JOINT RESOLUTION TO CREATE THE "EQUINE INDUSTRY SUPPORT MEASURES STUDY COMMITTEE" TO EXAMINE THE POTENTIAL FOR FURTHER GROWTH OF THE EQUINE INDUSTRY IN THIS STATE AND THE RESULTING ECONOMIC IMPACT.
Whereas, a recent survey conducted for the South Carolina Department of Agriculture by the University of South Carolina says that within the State of South Carolina there are nearly 18,000 thoroughbred and nearly 19,000 quarter horses; and
Whereas, the same study finds that the equine industry has an annual economic impact on South Carolina of approximately $1.9 billion, supporting 28,545 jobs and more than $1 billion in labor income; and
Whereas, approximately ninety-five percent of this economic impact comes from spending by horse owners on all horse-related goods, services, and transportation; and
Whereas, the remaining five percent of the economic impact results from business activities associated with horse-related institutions, such as horse racing, showing, and recreational organizations; and
Whereas, the State of South Carolina has inherent and obvious interest in seeing the equine industry promoted and grown, particularly horse racing, showing, and other forms of recreational horsemanship. Now, therefore,
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Equine industry support measures study committee
SECTION 1. (A) There is created the "Equine Industry Support Measures Study Committee" comprised of the following seven members:
(1) two members of the House of Representatives appointed by the Chairman of the Agriculture, Natural Resources and Environmental Affairs Committee;
(2) two members of the Senate appointed by the Chairman of the Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee;
(3) two members from the equine industry, with one appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives and one appointed by the President of the Senate, upon the recommendation of the South Carolina Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders Association; and
(4) the Commissioner of Agriculture, or his designee.
(B) The committee shall consider, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) examining the details of the economic impact of the equine industry on the State of South Carolina;
(2) studying the potential for equine business growth in South Carolina and steps the State could take to encourage growth such as fostering equine therapy, using 4H, the Future Farmers of America, and other student programs;
(3) identifying any barriers that exist for equine business growth in South Carolina and how to eliminate or reduce them;
(4) comparing South Carolina's incentives and barriers to other states in the Southeast as well as nationally;
(5) determining if the State should encourage interstate cooperation with equine facilities in nearby states; and
(6) examining any other issues that the committee determines are of interest and benefit to the equine business in South Carolina.
(C) The committee shall meet as soon as practical to organize and to elect a chairman and vice chairman. The chairman and vice chairman must be legislative members of the committee elected by a majority vote of the legislative members of the committee.
(D) The committee shall issue a report to the General Assembly by February 15, 2022, providing its findings and recommendations. The committee shall not recommend a tax or fee increase in its findings and recommendations. Upon issuance of the report, the committee is dissolved.
SECTION 2. This joint resolution takes effect upon approval by the Governor.
Ratified the 8th day of April, 2021.
Approved the 12th day of April, 2021.
This web page was last updated on July 28, 2021 at 11:25 AM